How to train for a Half Marathon in a Learning Consultants World!

16:57:00 Learning Boffins 0 Comments


So I am starting Spring with the longest run I have done in 2 years. On April 3rd I will be running Reading Half Marathon and because I thought ‘it would be fun’ I have also entered Vienna Half Marathon the following week (at least that one is in a beautiful Capital city).

But it got me thinking about how I have been getting to this point. I know what I need in terms of my training. I know that it’s likely that I can do the mileage because I am a frequent runner of distances of 6-10 miles, but psychologically in prep for both of these I needed to break that 10 mile barrier so I could settle nerves. Plus I knew that my running gait had shifted and as result was in need of a new pair of trainers, that I run well when I don’t consume too much caffeine and my weakness is hills,. Once I got the new trainers, minimised the caffeine, and scheduled in hill training and run over 10 miles I knew I could relax (a little).
So here I am a few days before the first half and have done all of those areas key training areas and I am now well into the best part of a running programme, I’m sure runners will agree, tapering.

It got me thinking about my approach to this and how this actually relates to learning (sorry but we are consultants!). Understanding my training needs from the beginning and early on allowed me to focus on specifics that suit me to give a better performance rather than just do a general programme. If I had followed a generic programme I would have ‘sheep-dipped’ and would have focused on parts of my running that probably didn’t need to change or wasn’t a weakness of mine. But because early on I understood exactly what I need as an individual to give a better performance I created a bespoke approach to tackling what’s ahead.  
In terms of the learning relationship we know instances when learning has been rolled out without actually understanding what learners will need to improve performance, it is merely just assumed at times. Could you say for each piece of learning rolled out a thorough training needs analysis has been conducted? Sheep-dipping learners can be costly and largely inefficient. Talk to us about training needs analysis in learning if you want to know more. 

And as for me I will let you know whether my TNA for running was accurate or not next week…
Sophie Cannon
Strategic Market Analyst

You Might Also Like

0 comments: