Looking at learning evaluations in a runners world

15:00:00 Learning Boffins 0 Comments



From a previous post you may have seen that in April I decided to run 2 half marathons. Leading up to this point I was using a TNA approach to make sure my training was targeted, effective and most importantly going to achieve what I wanted at both of the half marathon events. In the previous post 'How to train for a half marathon in a learning consultants world' I discussed how this approach to training is just as important in workplace learning.

Having now having had a break I have spent this time to reflect, identify what went well, what was key in the training to enhance my performance, what I done differently because of the targeted training and what I think I can improve on for future events.

As I am the only person involved in my running evaluation it is relatively straight forward. I can pick out exactly what worked and I know I can identify what impacted the speed of my half marathons:
- A combination of both fast 'sprint' work and long lengthy runs.
- A focus on core strength
- Not to consistently feel the need to run the full distance until race day

What didn't work well:
- Both races I didn't properly prepare in the starting pens
- I was constantly checking the watch (throughout training and race day) and panicking each time I knew I was on target or above target.

Over all this is a brief, not thorough and quick evaluation but it is something I can take away and use to inform how I conduct training going forward and it also recognises what were the key areas that led to performance improvement, because I achieved my goal as I got my sub 2 hour half marathon, woo!!

On a larger scale this is something that we Learning Boffins look at within workplace training. A common question for L&D professionals is - what difference has the training made?

 Looking at evaluations in the learning world is more complex and difficult to do. Not only is there normally a much larger audience size, there is also a multitude of factors and measures involved.

We have experience of applying a methodology to an organisations training programme that we know can prove the business impact of learning. The flexible methodology adapts to, and enhances, the current level of evaluation you have. It doesn't require us having benchmarking data, yet we can still enable clear links to be drawn between the learning delivered and the resulting levels of performance improvements and where possible the ROI. The methodology we use is underpinned by the work of Kirkpatrick, Phillips and Brinkerhoff and can draw on a wide range of data sources and anecdotal evidence. We use the diagram below to show the objectives of our methodology. Through questioning techniques and qualitative analysis we aim to recognise the learner journey from the learning layer, to the performance layer and through to the business benefit layer:


The key benefit of this is to protect and justify L&D's value o we are finding more conversations around the methodology, because if L&D are not starting to prove the value of learning its likely to be taken away! Talk to us if you want to discuss about how learning evaluations can support you learning function or if you have tips to run a sub 1hr45min I would also be keen to hear :)


You Might Also Like

0 comments: