"Results Day....Yay I can stop learning now"

14:03:00 Learning Boffins 0 Comments






This time of year always takes me back to memories of the school summer holidays and the one day we all dreaded, GSCE results day, A Level results day and actually every single assignment result I waited for whilst at University. Every time I received these results I felt a big sigh of relief and thought 'no more learning....until the next one obviously'. And when my final year marks where given to me at University I thought 'no more learning EVER'. At the time this felt like the greatest feeling and it was one that was of course celebrated in traditional student fashion.

But I look back now and think 'o how wrong I was' and not in a negative way at all. Without even realising it everyday since completing my final year of University (and in-between) I potentially have had a learning experience everyday that has helped me in the working world without even realising it. It took awhile for me to realise that after my educational years learning can happen outside of the classroom.

In our conversations we can see that many organisations still don't see learning outside of the classroom as 'learning'. The well known 70:20:10  model (which of course isn't a prescriptive model) shows that 70% of learning is from on-the-job experience, 20% from coaching and relationships and then only 10% from formal classroom learning.

It certainly is a mind-set shift to realise that you are learning outside of the classroom and is one that can be embraced by organisations. It can inspire organisations to use non-formal learning as part of other learning programmes or as an on-going learning support. Getting L&D to understand and implement this is the easy bit, but where you need buy-in and the shift to be noticeable is for the employees to go on the culture shift with you.

Even at times when informal support is in place, employees still say that they don't get any training in their organisation. Therefore it is important that employees understand the concept of informal learning. Through continued targeted communication and simple messaging to employees you can start to get employees to recognise 'informal' as learning and most importantly understand and get the value out of it.

We have had first-hand experience of taking employees on this mind-shift journey and as a result have supported clients through their own journey's, which in a formal sense can be seen as culture change and managed in this way and as result is a process and a journey that shouldn't be underestimated.

Take a look at our digital learning info graphic: http://capitakpconsultants.blogspot.co.uk/2016/06/our-digital-learning-infographic.html 
or tweet us @LearningBoffins. We would love to hear your experience of moving to informal.....



You Might Also Like

0 comments: